No worries for relaxed Carolina kicker

first_imgLaid back. That’s how Connor Barth describes himself. Not a bad attribute to have for a kicker.”I’m focused when I need to be,” Barth said.The Wilmington, N.C., native and Tar Heel placekicker doesn’t just say the right things. Just take a look at last season, when the shaggy-haired, mellow-demeanored Barth stepped right into the fire, becoming the first Carolina freshman to kick a field goal since 1996. Barth hit his first career attempt, a 22-yard chip shot at Virginia’s Scott Stadium, and never looked back, connecting on eight of his first nine collegiate attempts. He hit all three of his kicks, including a 50-yarder, the longest ever by a Tar Heel freshman, to help UNC knock off rival NC State.”You have to be calm,” Barth said. “The fans are loud, the stadium is loud, so you have to be able to block it all out.”But Barth reserved his best performance for Carolina’s toughest game of the season, a Saturday night home showdown with No. 4 Miami. After missing a 39-yarder in the first quarter, Barth found himself with the ultimate opportunity for redemption.Following a Hurricane touchdown that tied the game at 28-28, the Tar Heels engineered a drive to the Miami 25-yard line with four seconds remaining, giving Barth the chance to win the game.”Going into it, I knew I could make that kick,” Barth said. “I had made 42-yarders in practice.”Not surprisingly, Miami used a timeout in the classic football tactic of “icing” the kicker. It is quite the tactic to shake up a freshman kicker playing under the lights, but not so much when dealing with the naturally-relaxed Barth.”I just take the time to visualize making the kick,” Barth said. “Kick a few balls, get mentally prepared.” Barth drilled the game-winner, sending Kenan Stadium into frenzy and giving Carolina its biggest upset in school history.”When I saw it go through, it was one of the best feelings I’ve ever had in my life,” Barth said.But Barth was far from a one-kick wonder in 2004, hitting 14 of his 18 field goal attempts and 35 of his 37 extra points. As a result, he earned honorable mention all-ACC honors in his first year on campus, the latest award for a young man who was nearly everybody’s All-American kicker in high school.For now, though, Barth is simply looking to improve on his debut season, though an injury to his holder has thrown a different wrinkle into his fall.”It’s all about not getting complacent,” Barth said.Barth, who didn’t get the chance to kick a field goal in Carolina’s narrow season-opening loss at Georgia Tech, heads into Saturday night’s match-up with Wisconsin in the dark (“I know they have crazy fans up there, but that’s about it,” he said). But, after beginning the year on the road, Barth is anxious to return home with the rest of his teammates with hopes of forging another memory to savor at Kenan Stadium.”We had a close one this last week at Georgia Tech,” Barth said. “And obviously we wish we could have pulled it out, but we’re real excited to get back home.”And despite the loss to the “Rambling Wreck,” not surprisingly, he’s not sweating it. That just wouldn’t be Connor Barth.last_img read more

Read More »

Fishing the North Coast: Rockfish, tuna still viable options out of Eureka

first_imgEven though the calendar is creeping towards November, there’s still a few viable options for Eureka offshore anglers. A few boats ran for tuna out of Eureka on Monday, and even more made the trek out of Crescent City. Tim Klassen of Reel Steel Sport Fishing made the run from Eureka and found good conditions roughly 45 miles from the Humboldt Bay entrance.“The water color and temperature were good, but we didn’t find any big concentrations of fish,” said Klassen. “We got a handful on baits …last_img read more

Read More »

Android’s NFC Capabilities Updated in Gingerbread 2.3.3

first_imgsarah perez The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology As we noted back in December, the somewhat crippled implementation of NFC (near field communication) in the Android operating system was only meant to be temporary. Full NFC support would arrive via a series of incremental updates – and now, the first of those updates has arrived. With the Android 2.3.3 release, Google has added new capabilities for developers, including updates to the API (application programming interface) that now allow for both reading and writing to standard NFC tags.According to the Android Developers blog, some of the new features include:A comprehensive NFC reader/writer API that lets apps read and write to almost any standard NFC tag in use today.Advanced Intent dispatching that gives apps more control over how/when they are launched when an NFC tag comes into range.Some limited support for peer-to-peer connection with other NFC devices. For end users of NFC-enabled Android devices, what this means is that applications now have more control about how they are launched when an NFC tag is read. For example, apps could listen for specific tag content or tag technologies, and only launch when a match was made. Plus, applications running in the foreground could stop another app from launching upon the tag reading event, if need be.The updated platform also provides a limited peer-to-peer communication protocol and API for setting up things like Bluetooth or DLNA connections. That would mean that two NFC-enabled devices could share data when in close proximity. It’s easy to imagine how developers could build apps for contact sharing or photo sharing using NFC.Also new is the ability for developers to write tags, when before NFC allowed tag reading only. This two-way communication is an important aspect to any sort of NFC-backed mobile payment solution, such as the one Google is reportedly building now.Google says it expects most devices shipping with an Android 2.3 platform will run 2.3.3 going forward.More details for developers are here in the 2.3.3 version notes. Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Related Posts center_img What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Tags:#Android#mobile Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagementlast_img read more

Read More »

Who Will Have The Biggest Impact On Your Wallet – Obama or Romney?

first_img8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market christina ortiz Politify is a recently launched web application that uses IRS and Census data to show a simulation of how President Obama and Mitt Romney’s economic plans will impact areas of the country by zip code, even allowing users to zoom in on their own neighborhood.Last year, during primary season, Politify began as a web app that offered a simple way to decide what presidential primary candidate would be best for voters economically. Now that the dust has cleared and we’re down to two candidates, the app has been upgraded, thanks in large part to grants from UC Berkley and the Sunlight Foundation. Previously, it was a tax calculator, now it shows how each candidate’s economic plan will affect voters in personal, local and national figures.Co-founders Nikita Bier and Jeremy Blalock, along with their team, used IRS and Census data to find how household income is generated and what government services those households use. Based on this information, the web app creates a simulation of how President Obama and Mitt Romney’s economic plans will affect specific areas of the country. To find out the personal impact of the separate plans, potential voters can input their annual income, filing status and other information to see which candidate would benefit them. Locally, users can zoom over their city’s zip codes on a map to see what candidate’s plan benefits their community most. On a national level, graphs of the potential change in deficit and impact on households are shown. Both currently favor the President. (It’s important to note that the maps on the national level, which are almost completely blue, don’t take into account population density.) It’s no surprise that areas of the country that are more affluent benefit from Romney’s plan. However, according to Poltify’s findings, rural areas of the country that usually vote Republican, would benefit most from the Obama plan. The group says they are non-partisan, Bier told The Next Web this week that he describes himself as “radically moderate” and says he has no personal motivation for any particular outcome. However, he hopes that using the web app will encourage people to vote for a candidate based on what’s best for them and their community, rather than focusing on criteria like appearance or morals. Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hostingcenter_img A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#politics#web Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic…last_img read more

Read More »

Vidal future move sets Twitter abuzz

first_imgChile midfielder Arturo Vidal, who has become a mainstay in the lineup of Italian champion Juventus, helping the Old Lady win three consecutive Serie A title, is in news, with Twitter abuzz over his future move.Arturo Vidal. AP PhotoFIFA World Cup 2014: Five key players from ChileDays after Juventus director Giuseppe Marotta said the club had no intention of allowing Arturo Vidal to leave, it was being reported Vidal could leave cash-strapped Juventus but not for Manchester United as was being rumoured.The 27-year-old stated had said last week that he would not be going to Manchester. According to BBC, Vidal had told a Chilean newspaper he was “very calm” about the prospect of remaining with the Italian giants.Vidal has undergone an impressive transformation from being a stopper to making himself into a versatile player who recovers lost balls, sets up assists and often scores goals. The midfielder enjoyed an impressive World Cup in Brazil, helping Chile to reach the last 16.The Indepemdent reported on Monday, “Arturo Vidal will not be sold to Manchester United – unless he asks to leave, say Juventus.” “Vidal has been linked with a switch to English football for months, with Liverpool also interested in adding him to their Champions League squad, but United have always appeared to be the most likely destination,” it addedAccording to reports, Manchester United may have struck a “verbal agreement” with Vidal.HERE ARE SOME TWEETSI don’t think Man Utd fans have ever witnessed any transfer saga as protracted and as convoluted as this Vidal saga. Good Lordadvertisement Whitey (@ikakujor) July 29, 2014This Vidal stuff is so boring. I actually couldn’t give a shit if he signs or not. Its all a load of made up media bollocks anyway.paul campbell (@paul_MUFC) July 29, [email protected] I know it, but imo right now Vidal needs to come out and confirm it but without using “IFs” or “maybes” types..Omid Zamani (@Juventus__fan) July 29, [email protected] @shane14oneill Vidal is a game changer without doubt! Absolutely world class! Still wud need more but he’d be our keaneHenry Savage (@HenrySavage2) July 29, 2014last_img read more

Read More »

10 months agoKante: Chelsea matchwinner all about Luiz

first_imgKante: Chelsea matchwinner all about Luizby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante says his matchwinner at Crystal Palace came straight off the training pitch.Kante combined with David Luiz to fire home the only goal of the game in the 51st minute at Selhurst Park.He told Sky Sports: “It is a move I have tried in training.“It doesn’t work many times but David gave me a good ball and I am happy to score with my left foot and help the team win.”It was all about the pass.”Chelsea were made to work hard for all three points – and Luiz admitted it was a slog trying to break down the home side.“It is never easy to play here or control it here especially when they play long balls but we did well,” he said.“We could have scored early but they also did a great match defensively which is why it was so difficult.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More »

Alabama’s Bo Scarbrough, Who Had Knee Surgery 2 Days Ago, Posts Video Of Leg Lift

first_imgAlabama Bo ScarbroughAlabama Bo ScarbroughThis past Friday, Alabama freshman running back Bo Scarbrough, a five-star recruit from Tuscaloosa, tore the ACL in his right knee during a team scrimmage. Monday, he underwent surgery to repair the injury. Wednesday, he’s already starting rehab, completing straight leg lifts. Really.Scarbrough, who is clearly excited about how his recovery is going, posted a 30-second Twitter video of himself extending and lifting his right leg in a doctor’s office. It’s impressive, given the quick turnaround.Two day out of surgery and already can do a straight leg lift! It’s a blessing to be able to come back and work hard! pic.twitter.com/8NQ31ZDsjR— Bo Scarbrough (@starbo06) April 8, 2015Scarbrough was a huge get for the Tide, and has a bright future ahead. Let’s hope he’s back on the field as soon as possible.last_img read more

Read More »

Tennessee Wideout Marquez North Suffers Knee Sprain

first_imgMarquez North of Tennessee Injured.Marquez North Tennessee Injury RumorYou can exhale, Tennessee fans. Junior wide receiver Marquez North is not sidelined for the season, despite what rumors suggested Wednesday night. North, one of the team’s top playmakers, instead is only suffering from a knee sprain and will be out of action for around one week. Both Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports and Brett McMurphy of ESPN confirmed the news Thursday morning.SOURCE: Speculation on #Vols big WR Marquez North possibly being injured & lost for the season is all false. He may be out 1 wk or less— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) August 13, 2015Tennessee WR Marquez North’s knee injury appears to only be a sprain source told ESPN— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) August 13, 2015North caught 68 balls for 816 yards and five touchdowns in 2014, but a shoulder injury sidelined him for most of the second half of the season. At 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, he has the potential to be a serious threat for the Volunteers.last_img read more

Read More »

Alleged illegal dumping

first_imgPEACE REGION, B.C. – The B.C. Conservation Officer service seized a tank truck on Sunday, November 11, 2018.Peace BCCOS encountered what they believed was the illegal dumping of waste, in progress as they arrived. The tank truck has been seized for evidence.Media spokesman for the Ministry David Carn said there are no further details as the investigation is ongoing.last_img

Read More »

Day after: Lankans still can’t believe it happened

first_imgColombo: As Shantha Prasad carried children wounded in Sri Lanka’s deadly attacks into a Colombo hospital, memories of the country’s deadly civil war flooded back. “I carried about eight wounded children yesterday,” he told AFP on Monday, a day after a string of blasts hit hotels and churches, killing nearly 300 people. “There were two girls aged six and eight, the same age as my daughters,” said Prasad, who helps carry stretchers into the hospital’s triage area and wards. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US”Their clothes were torn and drenched in blood. It is unbearable to see this kind of violence again.” For many Sri Lankans, Sunday’s attacks against churches and high-end hotels brought back painful memories of a conflict that lasted three decades and killed as many as 100,000 people. During those years, bomb attacks were a regular occurrence, and left many Sri Lankans on edge in the streets and on public transport. In the capital, street sweeper Malathi Wickrama said Monday he was now nervous doing his job. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls”Now we are afraid to even touch black plastic bags with garbage,” he said. “The string of blasts yesterday brings back memories of the time when we were afraid to go in buses or trains because of parcel bombs.” With the lifting of a nationwide curfew early Monday morning, people began to emerge into Colombo’s streets, where security was heavy. Schools and the stock exchange are closed, but some shops opened their doors and public transport was functioning. Imtiaz Ali, a tuk-tuk driver, was looking for customers in the capital, but said his family was in mourning over the death of his nephew in the blast that hit the Cinnamon Grand hotel. “The boy was just 23. He was a salesman at Cinnamon Grand hotel and he was to be married next week,” Ali told AFP. “We had made all the plans to hold the wedding at home, but today it’s a funeral house.” When Ali stopped at a petrol station to get a back-up container of fuel, the attendant said police had banned the sale of petrol and diesel in cans and bottles for fear they could be used to improvise bombs. Elsewhere in the city, some residents were making their way into work, determined to maintain a semblance of normality despite the tragedy. “We are resilient people,” said Nuwan Samarweera, a 50-year-old office worker. “We have seen so much violence during the civil war. For the outside world it may be big, but for us life goes on,” he added.last_img read more

Read More »